Tuesday, August 29, 2006

Go Ahead

For the past month I've been listening to this Christian rock band, Disciple, while training for my next half marathon. Initially I really liked the band because the intensity of the music motivates me to push myself harder during runs. But recently, I've started paying attention to the lyrics of the songs and found out something really awesome. They are pretty powerful.

Each song of the CD has a corresponding verse on which it is based. The song that has peaked my interest the most is called "Go Ahead" and it's corresponding verse is Romans 8:28 (And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to his purpose.) In the song, the singer is talking to "the evil one" saying:


I feel the poison cutting through me
Spreads like a cancer all over me
Could it be the you're so insecure
That you have to curse me
Go ahead with all you got
Try to break me down
Do you think you can hurt me
All the pain you'll inflict will make me stronger


I have to say that this is an interesting take on Romans 8:28. First of all, I think it's intriguing that the artist paints a picture of the devil being insecure. I don't think I have ever thought of him that way. And then I remembered reading somewhere that a behavior of some insecure people is to belittle and breakdown others so that in the process they elevate themselves and make themselves feel better.

Then comes the challenge made by the artist, "Go ahead with all you got. Try to break me down. Do you think you can hurt me." WHAT?!? Are you crazy! These are the things that go through my mind as I hear these lyrics. Do you know anyone who would challenge "the evil one" like that? Do you know someone who would purposefully want more pain and suffering in their lives to make them stronger? But maybe that's not the point the artist is trying to make. Maybe the artist wants us to have a glimpse of the total realization of who we are in Christ. Because when you think about it, to make such a bold statement, you've really gotta know what side you're on and who is backing you...

1 Comments:

At 9/01/2006 3:23 PM, Blogger strunny said...

wow, thanks for posting this. i'm going to check this band out, because i bet they'd be good to work out to. i also have challenged the enemy like that on several occasions, and i'm wondering if that has anything to do with all the totally random crap that's happened to me lately. i don't care though, he's all talk and no power. right? right. :)
sarah

 

Post a Comment

<< Home